Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Eat Your Veggies, Score Two Desserts

What mixed veggie messages we receive!

All of my life, the authorities mandated "eat your vegetables". It's the right thing to do.



It's the AMERICAN thing to do. They pleaded, they bargained, they begged.

(I used to do that with my kids, now my very healthy 14 year old has declared she is a vegan and now everyone around her says to her "eat your meat". Can't make anyone happy)

So today we had an executive offsite and beforehand my assistant took my order for lunch. There was a choice of fish, steak, or chicken. I asked that she please arrange to have them do something vegetarian for me. My thought was that any institutional meal with meat would be overly sauced and sod(i)omized and would totally wreck my nutritional intake for the day. I reasoned that I could eat a ton of fruit and vegetables at lunch, snack on nuts and then have a great dinner at home.

This approach seemed to cause great concern to those serving the meal. I received a plate FULL of vegetables. 4 different vegetables, large portions, excellently prepared PLUS there was a side salad that included walnuts and blue cheese crumbles.

They kept coming to check on me. Did I have enough to eat? Was it OK? Did I need anything else. It really was alot. I looked around at some of the other dishes that had been served and mentally calculated that the other people at this meeting were probably consuming 1200-1500 calories in this one meal. Mine was the only rationally sized meal there. But there was so much concern.

After I finished my lunch, I stepped out to the restroom. When I returned I found that I had been given TWO desserts!

Must be my reward for finally eating all my vegetables.

I think they must now have an image of the alien vegetable eater in their minds when they think of me...


But this is how I choose to see myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment