Friday, February 18, 2011

Dinner and a Movie


A last minute sleep over for my daughter turned into an opportunity for us to see a movie and to have dinner before the movie.  It took a while for me to finally commit to a place at which I was willing to eat.  Nothing looked as good as what we could make at home, but I finally picked something I could live with that was close to the theater.  Unfortunately, we couldn't get reservations and we waited as long as we could until we decided we would miss the movie.  At that point, we decided to eat after the movie, and made our way to buy tickets.  The theater we go to gives assigned seats, and when we saw what seats were still available (the ones in the front where you get to look up the nostrils of the actors), we decided a movie at home would be better.  Man we are getting picky.  Dinner is better at home.  Movie is better at home.  Is it picky, or are we just better at cooking and making things right. 

As we drove home, I started thinking about what I would have done four weeks ago.  We would have eaten bad food someplace else.  We would have picked a crummy movie with better seats so we could sit and eat salty popcorn.  But that's not what I do now.

Still driving home I also had the thought that "this is how it is now, this is just what I do now."  It was a different sort of thought.  It wasn't a "this is what I do while I'm on this diet and things will be different when I'm done."  I realized that I was done. Done with diets.  This is just how I am now, this is just what I do now.  I eat good stuff and I won't compromise.  I do fun stuff and won't sit in a bad seat.  There isn't a done.  And I like that.  I'm not waiting for some magical scale event for the "fun stuff to start".  This is what it is, it's now, and it's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment