Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Switch

My riding lesson was delayed by 2 hours, so I decided I could get a few things done in the morning before I left for the barn.  "A few things" are always needing to be done when one lives in an antique house.  This morning, my goal was simply to install two dimmer switches for chandeliers in the master bedroom and the master dressing room.  The dressing room had the added complication that in an old house the wires are not colored or marked and they weren't much for following standards in those days like always putting the hot wire in the side with one wire on a 3 way box.  The other would be easier, a single pole, but the added complication was that the breaker for the bedroom is not marked in the breaker box.

I could have taken the easy way out and used a cell phone and a helper (the master bedroom is upstairs, the breaker box downstairs), but instead I used it as an exercise opportunity.  There were three options for the three way, and I exercised every one of them, resulting in six trips up and down the stairs to wire and test.  Finding the correct breaker switch took an additional 10 trips.

I hate the stairmaster and arc trainer at the gym.  I can't imagine the point of climbing stairway to nowhere (and I know heaven is not located above the cardio room in the gym), but getting my switches swapped was worth the effort and made the workout more of a game.

The light went on, and I hope to make that same switch with as many workouts as I can!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber."  Elbert Hubbard

No comments:

Post a Comment