Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My glAss Menagerie

Visuals seem to work with me, so I'm going to stick with them for a while. I found a picture of someone (Anky von Grunsven) who is very good at something I like to do (dressage). I then tried to imagine the difference in our abilities and how much my current health status has to do with that. Here you see Anky contending with the additional weight that I carry on my body, thus end up carrying on my poor overburdened horse. (Excuse the draft horse pic, I didn't have time for a good quality photo shop session today).



Yes, indeed, that is Anky with a cinder block (42 lbs), two jugs of water (16 lbs), a 2lb bag of flour, 2 bags of meow mix for 7 lbs, 8 pounds of chicken.

Scary! I don't think even Anky could ride well with an extra cinder block, a couple of chickens (nice epaulets, don't you think?), some kitty chow, a couple of gallons of water (did you see those jugs?), and a 4 pound lost chihuahua nipping at her heels. Yes, that chihuahua I lost last week is running close behind me. I had several high-sodium, high-calorie, high-fat, highfalutin' social events this weekend that are making me wonder if that pup is going to be back on my backside this week or not.

What hobby do you have? What is it that you do, or would like to do well? Can you imagine what it looks like with all of your extra baggage? I think this visual will help me out when I'm reaching for that extra serving, or putting a little more on my plate than what I'm intending to count. My mare certainly doesn't need a cinder block on her back when we're trying to do a canter pirouette, so why do I need an extra dessert here or there. I'll just think about that cinder block, or that cat chow when serving up the epaulet-au-vin.

Will you be running your marathon with or without that bag of flour? WIll you be walking up your staircase to go to bed lugging a bag of 4 pound fryers and two gallons of water? How's that cinder block workin' for you when you walk down the beach on vacation?

What in the heck was I thinking?
I'm going to imagine myself like this in the future, and hopefully you will read a blog from me in a few months entitled "My glAss is Half Full, and I'm Liking It".

Meanwhile, I'm going to get to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment